Approved Minutes
RCA Board of Directors Meeting
June 27th, 2016
National Realty Building

Those attending included: Connie Hartke, Nick Georgas, Sridhar Ganesan, Yavuz Inanli, John Hanley, Joe Leighton, Robin Hogan, Dennis Hays, Lynne Mulston, Geoffrey Lewis, Moira Callaghan
Absent were: Annmarie Swope, Hank Schonzeit
Guests were: George Kain, Sharon Snyder, Carol Ann Riordan, John Lovaas, Tammi Petrine

  1. Agenda – Based on a motion by Dennis and a second by John the agenda was unanimously adopted by those in attendance.
  2. Confirmation of Election of New Directors – Based on a motion by John and a second by Dennis the election of new directors was confirmed by those in attendance.
  3. Election of Officers for the 2016 – 2017 year
    1. President – Sridhar Ganesan
    2. Vice President – John Hanley
    3. Secretary – Nick Georgas
    4. Treasurer – Joe Leighton
  4. May 23rd RCA Meeting Minutes – The amended May 23rd minutes will be sent around to be voted on via email.
  5. Treasurer’s Report – Based on a motion by Joe and a second by Lynne the treasurer’s report previously circulated by Joe via email was approved as distributed. Connie abstained from the vote.
  6. API Building – Dennis discussed the background for bringing up the API building as a potential location for the relocation of the Reston Library. The Planning Commission was tied on a vote on whether or not the library could be demolished or preserved for the library. This means that the vote will go to the Board of Supervisors. Sharon Snyder and Carol Ann Riordan were guest presenters to discuss the campaign for preservation of the API building. Carol Ann Riordan gave a history of the API building and why it was shuttered. She then discussed the actions taken to try and preserve the building and the various involved parties in the preservation efforts; including journalists who were part of the API during its active years, Reston and other Fairfax County residents, architectural historians, and the AIA. Action items were brought up which RCA can assist with to spread the news. Step one is to save  the building; step 2 is to find it a purpose such as potentially housing  the library. RCA will further coordinate with Carol Ann as things progress.
  7. RA Tetra Lake House – Sridhar briefed the group on the May 26th RA Board Meeting where the 426,000 dollar cost overrun to complete the project. Sridhar, John Hanley, Terry, John Lovaas, and Tammi pushed for the independent committee to review the project overruns. The group discussed the various terms of the original sale and what the perceived issues are and how RA arrived where they are. The call for vetting committee candidates is July 15th. RCA will ask whatever reports the auditing agency generates be publicly available. Sridhar asked the group if a public forum or meeting is needed to help engage the community. It was decided a public forum wasn’t warranted at this point.

Moira left the meeting at 9:41
John left the meeting at 9:51

  1. Turf Fields – Not addressed due to time
  2. 501 (c) 3 – Not addressed due to time
  3. Other Business – George handed off the Dulles Corridor Metrorail newsletters to Sridhar to deal with in the future.
  4. Location and Time of Next Meeting – The next meeting will be July 25th, 2016 at 7:30 at the Hartke Building. Lynne made a motion to adjourn the meeting and Joe seconded it. The motion was unanimously approved by all those in attendance.